Curly Hair For The Win! - Winning Tips For Curly Hair
Curly hair is often considered the most beautiful, but maintaining it can be a challenge. If you have curly hair, you are likely aware of the difficulties faced in growing out and styling them. Most often the tips you read or search for are geared towards straight hair, yet it is very rare to find information on how to embrace curls. Curly hair is more difficult to care for than straight hair because it lacks moisture and dries out easily. This is because natural oils find it difficult to travel down curly hair strands. Your hair appears to have volumized three times its original size every morning. Sometimes you may even get confusing advice from different people on how to style, wash, or get rid of your ‘frizzy hair’.
We know caring for curly hair can seem daunting, but you will want nothing more once you adapt to the right kind of care. Your hair is your crowning glory, embrace its true texture by giving it the care it deserves, rather than getting your hair to adapt to the style that is defined to be ‘ideal’ by society.
We have curated tips and tricks to help you maintain and flaunt your curls in the best possible way!
Care for curly hair :
- Cleanse your scalp but avoid over washing - Curly hair tends to get very dry, so overwashing the hair will open up the cuticles and strip off its natural oils resulting in dry and frizzy hair. However, make sure you cleanse your scalp whenever necessary to avoid dirt build-up.
- Give your curls the moisture and hydration they need - Nice and hydrated is how curls would love to be! Adding deep conditioning and oil treatments to your hair care routine will give you those dreamy luscious locks. Curls tend to get extremely dry, so add some moisture with a hydrating conditioner. Pick natural conditioners that are specifically for curly hair and allow it to soak in for at least 2-3 minutes before washing it out. A leave-in conditioner is also a good option, especially on your busy days when you’ve got less time after shampooing. Additionally, slathering your curls with a palmful of coconut oil before shampooing will work wonders on them.
- Avoid towel drying - Gently air-dry your hair and avoid towel drying, especially if your hair is prone to frizz after a wash. Harsh towel drying can open up hair cuticles and make your hair frizzy. With the fear of frizzing up or a shortage of time, it's natural to keep fidgeting with your curls as they dry up. Avoid interrupting the natural drying process in any way. A hair-dryer diffuser can help you dry your hair quickly if you are pressed for time. You can also reduce your drying time by using a microfiber towel, which absorbs excess water and is softer on your hair. Once your hair has naturally dried up, you can follow it up with leave-in products such as hair serums or argan/avocado oil that are suitable to accentuate your curls!
- Detangle curly hair the right way - “Don’t brush curly hair” is something you must have heard often. This is a myth. It is true you should avoid brushing curly hair when it's completely dry as it makes it frizzy, however, you don’t need to avoid it completely. Brushing your hair is an important step in detangling your hair. When done the right way, it can work beautifully for your curls. The first step is to gently run your fingers through damp hair starting at the ends and working your way up. Then slowly start brushing your hair with a detangler brush or wide-toothed comb. This will loosen up your knots and make styling easier once your hair is completely dry.
- Use a silk pillowcase - Silk's natural smoothness allows hair to glide over it without any friction which means you'll have fewer tangles, frizz, or bedhead when you wake up in the morning. Cotton tends to snag hair and make it tangled.
- Sleep routines for curly hair- When you sleep on your back, there is too much pressure on your hair follicles, causing your curls to become messy, frizzy, and knotted. Sleeping on your side or stomach is likely the best option for people with curly hair. A bonnet or headscarf can also help protect your curls while you sleep. Additionally, you can consider using overnight hair serums or a leave-in conditioner to help tame your curls and add moisture as you sleep.
Styling for curly hair
- Keep your curls springy and defined, by trying plopping- a method of drying your curls with a T-shirt on top of your head. This helps in achieving smooth, defined, and frizz-free curls.
- Brush or comb your hair when it is damp to make it easier to style as it dries.
- Use a hair-dryer diffuser to dry your hair for a quick glam on days you are pressed for time. Flip your head upside down and hold the diffuser steady to your scalp and avoid moving it too much, since it can frizz up the hair.
- Pick styling products that pamper your curls with softness and hydration.
- Find yourself a good hairstylist experienced in working with curls, who knows exactly how to enhance them. A great haircut that works with your naturally curly hair can not only save you time in styling but also make you look like you can walk the red carpet with those gorgeous curls!
- Stick with low-heat settings when occasionally using styling tools, and use a heat protectant to make sure your curls stay in their natural shape.
- Blow dry your hair harshly after a shower or be impatient with the natural drying process.
- Use hairsprays and mousse which contain harsh chemicals such as sulfates and alcohol.
- Use excessive heat styling tools as they will rip your curls off their natural shape and bounce.
- Brush your hair when its completely dry to keep it frizz-free.
- Use fine-toothed combs.
- Pull your hair into a tight ponytail or bun all the time.
Products for curly hair:
Using the right products is key to enhancing the beauty of your curls. To narrow down your search, we’ve put together conscious and cruelty-free hair care products to help you embrace your natural texture and give your curls exactly what they need!
A moisturizing and hydrating shampoo infused with rich earthy ingredients such as mango butter, shea butter, and neroli oil. It gently cleanses the scalp prevents frizz, adds bounce to the curls, being infused with protein and natural butter.
An intensely hydrating formula of natural oils and butter to repair dry and damaged curly hair while inducing hair growth. This conditioner leaves your curls manageable and tangle-free. It can also be used as a leave-in conditioner.
A protein-infused hair cream made with jojoba and nigella sativa seed (black cumin) oils that nourishes and moisturizes curly hair, making it shiny and bouncy. This leave-in cream removes frizz and simplifies curl styling. A perfect alternative on days you’ve got no time for a wash-off conditioner!
Enhanced with Ayurvedic hero ingredients such as flax seed, aloe vera, and chia seeds, this anti-frizz styling gel enhances curl definition and strengthens hair. It also adds volume and moisture to the hair, and is a winning combo paired with leave-in cream!
Powered by the rich ayurvedic blend of argan oil, bhringraj, and rosemary, this nutritive oil works well as an overnight treatment to add enhanced shine and protect your curls as you sleep. You can bid ‘goodbye’ to bedhead days with this one around!
The Winning Conclusion
In summary, curly hair doesn't have to be difficult to manage; all you need is the right products. One of the most important things to know about curly hair is that it tends to dry out easily and needs moisture. It is best to avoid washing out your scalp’s natural oils and invest in natural beauty care products that will add moisture to the hair. By following the right tips and tricks, you will find yourself falling in love with your luscious curls real soon!